Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm going to make it through.


Have you ever faced an overwhelming challenge during the journey that just
tested you? Did it require all of your strength and just drain you completely?
The challenge might have been so great and so overwhelming that you wondered
if you were ever going to get through it. The challenge seemed to block your
way and to dash your hopes to the point of just giving up.

Throughout the journey, we'll encounter "walls" and obstacles. These will
stand in the path and attempt to block us from moving forward. At first
they might too great to overcome, and then there's a feeling of resignation.

Then a voice whispers to us; "I'll help you to press on." We can just ignore
the voice and give up, or we can have faith and press on. If we just give
up, then we've accomplished nothing. We still might feel defeat and despair.
If we have faith in the Master, over time, we'll make it through. I do not
choose to be one who just sits in defeat. If I do; it won't last for very
long. As tough as things get, I would rather have faith in the Master and
press on. It is with faith that the Master gives to me that I can say;
"I'm going to make it through."

There's no promise that the paths along the journey will be smooth. In
fact, there will be "bumps" along the road. Some of those "bumps" will
be large and cause us to stumble, and others, we won't see until we
trip over them.

We will also encounter "walls" along the way. These might be either
people or situations that block our path. "Walls" present a greater
challenge because they can block most or even the entire path. It
is not so easy to get past this obstacle and make it through. Some
people manage to make it around them, while others remain immobilized.
These people lose hope and feel that they aren't going to make it
through.

Some people try to hide from the challenges by turning to substance abuse.
These only drag people down even further into the pits of hopelessness
and despair. Substance abuse never helps people move forward, this only
holds people back. Such abuse creates more obstacles and walls to get
over. Challenges will come, but we do not face them alone. There is
One who will help us to make it through.

Someone once said; "With all of the obstacles that I've got before me,
how am I going to make it through?" As I've thought about it, I'm
reminded that God is able to remove obstacles. He is able to tear
down walls and to make a way. Faith in Jesus Christ allows us to
make it through. Jesus already tore down the barrier between God
and man and has made peace through his blood.

When obstacles stand in your way, you can do one of two things.
You can be stopped in your tracks, or you can take hold of Jesus
and press on. If you stop dead in your tracks, you won't make it
through. When you get to walls that block your path, what do you do?
You can either stand and stare at the wall, you could just look
over it, none of these will help. If you reach up and take hold of Christ's
unchanging hand, he'll raise you up. He'll help you to get over the walls
and make it past the obstacles. He provides the strength to make it
through.

Let us remember that we do not make the journey alone. There are other
saints who are making the journey as well. They too, will encounter
obstacles and walls. Let us be there to encourage and to help them make
it through.

As I reflect upon the journey, I am reminded of an old gospel song
entitled; "I feel noways tired."In this song are the words;
"God didn't bring me this far just to leave me."Even though
my journey has not been easy, I still think about these words.

When you feel as if you might not make it, keep holding on to Christ's
unchanging hand. Yes, take hold of his hand and declare;
"I'm going to make it through!"

Michael Carter
From the Book:Pressing on in hope.
Due out in the fall. Lulu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit this blog. Please feel free to leave your comments.

FeedBurner FeedCount

Subscribe Now: poweredby

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: standard

Subscribe Now: google

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Powered By Blogger

Followers