Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm peaceful

I can remember when I served as a chaplain at the Medium Security
institution in St. Louis, Missouri. I was working for Lutheran
Ministries Association, which was a ministry of The Lutheran Church-
Missouri Synod.

As chaplain, it had been my custom from time to time to visit with the
inmates in their dorms. I can remember one visit, it was a hot August
afternoon, and it since the area was not air conditioned, it was quite
uncomfortable. The dorm that I had visited was greatly overcrowded and
the inmates were rowdy and there was much noise and chaos. The place
was anything but peaceful.

As I watched all of this taking place, I noticed one inmate standing
quietly by the bars waiting to speak with me. His name was P.J. and
he was seventeen years old. I asked him; "How's it going?" P.J.
answered; "I'm peaceful." I looked around at all that was going on
and asked; "How can you be peaceful with all this going on, and with
what you're going through?" P.J. calmly replied; "I'm peaceful
because Jesus is with me."

Later that day, I thought about what P.J. had said. His words caused
me to think about what it means to be peaceful. There are many people
who are seeking peace in their lives. Many are living lives that are
full of turmoil and pain, they want peace and happiness, and to be
free of the hurt.

Some people try to find their peace in the material things of this
world, in money, in their careers, and in family and friends. Others
turn to drugs and alcohol, thinking that these will numb the pain
and give them peace. All these offer temporary escape, but no lasting
peace. The peace that the world offers is but fleeting and not lasting.

I am reminded of the words from the Scriptures that read:

"And the peace of God, which surpasses
all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through
Christ Jesus."(Phil. 4:7)


The peace of Jesus is a peace that surrounds and guards the hearts and
minds of those who trust and believe in him. This peace gives both
strength and hope even through the darkest of times.

The peace that Jesus gives is far different than that the world offers.
The world's ideas of peace are built upon the words and actions of
people, and will quickly pass away. Jesus himself said:"Peace I leave you. My peace I give to you; not as
the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled
neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)
The peace that Jesus
offers does not pass away. This peace strengthens and gives hope
through the darkest days and the most trying times. We are not
promised that we will be free of troubles; they will come. What
Jesus says is that you don't have to be afraid, you have both
his presence and his peace.

This peace will affect the ways that people of Christ live their
lives. Yes, troubles and sorrows will come; these will not disturb
that peace that Christ gives. This peace will see the saints through
the hard times. The one who trusts in Christ will find perfect
peace. The Prophet Isaiah wrote: "You will keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on you. Because he trusts in you."(Isaiah 26:3)

Those who believe will have their joys and sorrows just like everyone
else. Life will certainly have it's share of challenges. Yet through
it all, the saints need not fear. Trust in the Savior and say: "I'm peaceful."


By Michael Carter
For the collection:Pressing on in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit this blog. Please feel free to leave your comments.

FeedBurner FeedCount

Subscribe Now: poweredby

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: standard

Subscribe Now: google

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Powered By Blogger

Followers